An initiative by Géraldine Robert
The National Development Plan of the Gabonese National Office for the Development of Sport and Culture contains several major objectives, including the use of sport to promote the well-being of local communities, foster social cohesion and, in broader terms, contribute to the economic and social development of Gabon.
The city of Port-Gentil still does not have enough sports facilities and lacks an adequate supply of leisure activities to meet the expectations of young people and their families. Alcoholism, delinquency and the lack of sexual health education are also major issues.
Under the leadership of former French-Gabonese international basketball player Géraldine Robert, the association Yemaly was created to address the lack of leisure activities during the school holidays. It has organised basketball camps every summer since 2011. Hundreds of children have also benefited from school and sports equipment donations. The association now wants to go even further and keep its activities going throughout the school year by opening the first basketball academy for girls and boys in Gabon.
- Open a basketball academy for girls and boys
- Promote the well-being, education and social inclusion of youth through basketball
- Promote gender equality and the empowerment of girls and women through sport
- Providing basketball training sessions three times a week and twice-weekly academic support classes
- Renovating a recreational area and basketball court to foster safe and adaptable training
- Building a classroom for the academic support courses
- Implementing a Women’s Empowerment programme to promote the independence of girls and women and develop their leadership skills
Watch the Yemaly camps in action
- 100 young people, 50% of them girls receive schooling at the Yemaly camps
- Three coaches recruited to run the basketball training sessions
- Access to the recreational area outside training times for the local communities
- More than 2,000 young people have taken part in the Yemaly basketball camps since 2011
- More than 1,000 children have benefited from sports and school equipment donations
- A project supported by the Agence Française de Développement
You are the manager of this project and you wish to modify/complete this form ? Do not hesitate to contact us through your account !