An initiative by Aby Gaye
The initiative is driven by the need to empower girls in Senegalese society, which is sometimes hierarchical with respect to gender, skin colour, social class, etc.
Through the promotion of women’s empowerment, the importance of schooling and sex education, and the sharing of core values, the objective is to encourage girls to become ambitious, responsible women.
A local sports coaching programme ensures that the most talented individuals can seize the opportunity to play at the highest level. Each edition of the annual Terang’Aby basketball camp focuses on three themes:
- Basketball: using the sport as a tool to champion the empowerment of girls
- Education: improving knowledge and changing mentalities
- Awareness-raising: preventing major public health problems in Senegal
- Foster girls’ empowerment and develop their knowledge and leadership skills
- Tackle stigmatisation and develop perseverance, discipline and self-confidence
- Promote girls’ education and gender equality
- Organisation of basketball camps in order to pass on to the young girls who will in turn become ambassadors and set up local initiatives with their peers
- Workshops on leadership and entrepreneurship training to empower girls
- Building the monthly Terang’Aby days in the future to follow a group throughout the year
- Recruiting and and formation of the supervisory staff
- Raising awareness and supporting young girls against stigma and senegalese society’s problems
Discover Terang’Aby’s initiative
- More than 40 young girls are identified and trained at each edition
- 8 basketball training centres mobilized in the region of Thiès (Senegal)
- 40 young girls who will be able to raise their awareness
- Nearly 100 girls trained and educated since the first edition in 2018
You are the manager of this project and you wish to modify/complete this form ? Do not hesitate to contact us through your account !