An initiative by Youssouf Mulumbu
In a context of population growth (approximately 84 million inhabitants in 2018 according to the World Bank and more than half of whom are under 24 years old) and the preparation of the “Jeux La Francophonie 2022” and Olympic Games Paris 2024, the lack of adequate sports infrastructure remains a real challenge for the Congolese public authorities. The situation is more critical in rural areas where youth have only few spaces for sharing, entertainment and development.
Thus, the development of local infrastructure is a powerful lever for development and inclusion. In addition to help building social links in neighborhoods, these sports facilities promote the spread of several mass and individual sports disciplines, training and professional integration in the field of sports (animation of sports activities, management of sports infrastructure, etc.), the practice of sport in safe and accessible spaces and the consolidation of the legacy of the next “Jeux de la Francophonie 2022” in Democratic Republic of Congo.
- Support the Congolese youth and sports movement in preparing for the “Jeux La Francophonie 2022” in Kinshasa and the Olympic Games Paris 2024
- Promote the democratisation of sport and the development of youth
- Create new multi-sport and sustainable infrastructures and ensure the legacy of the “Jeux de La Francophonie”
- Boost the training and professional integration of young people in the field of sport
- Strengthen social cohesion and significantly reduce juvenile delinquency by providing a sport and educational environment
- Participate in land use planning alongside state authorities by creating sports hubs in remote areas of the country
- Contribute to the achievement of the UN Sustainable Development Goals in DR Congo
- Manufacture and installation of sports infrastructure dedicated to youth and promotion of their professional integration
- Training in sports professions (animation of sports activities, management of sports infrastructure, etc.)
- Organisation of sports sessions, cultural events and awareness-raising workshops on different themes related to the Sustainable Development Goals
- Support for young athletes in the preparation and participation of “Jeux La Francophonie 2022” and the Olympic Games Paris 2024.
- Strategic and technical partnerships with public institutions, sports federations and organisations, training schools, etc.
- 100 sports infrastructures built in the DR Congo provinces, including 50 in the capital Kinshasa
- 300 animators recruited to facilitate and monitor the sessions
- 200 security officers and 200 maintenance officers recruited to ensure the cleanliness and safety of the communities around Infrastructures
- 100 site managers recruited and trained for facility management across the territory
- 50 sector managers and 50 sales agents recruited for site development and sustainability
- Free sessions for youth under 12 and those over 60
To express its support for this project, tthe Governor of Kinshasa awarded Youssouf Mulumbu the status of Ambassador of the city and made available to his foundation 48 spaces for the construction of these local sports facilities.
The project has also a partnership with the national board of YMCA/YWCA which will provide access to land in the remaining 25 target minicipalities for the project.
With a total estimated cost of €18 million (including 83% of site manufacturing costs and 17% of fit-up and installation costs), the deployment of this project is structured in 2 phases:
- The “Pilot” phase will consist of 10% of the total project or 10 infrastructures and the development work by 2022. With an investment amount of €1.8 million, priority would be given to Kinshasa and its 24 municipalities;
- The second phase will focus on the completion of the remaining 90 infrastructures in the country’s other target regions by 2023/2024 with a total cost of €16.2 million.