A project led by Hamchetou Maïga-Ba
According to a 2018 UNICEF report, more than 2 million children aged between 5 and 17 are not in school in Mali and the illiteracy rate among young people aged 15 to 24 is almost 50%.
Given Mali’s youthful population (of which children under 14 account for 48%), it has become essential to develop initiatives for fostering access to education, as borne out by the Mali Government’s Education For All programme.
Hamchetou Maïga-Ba’s foundation uses sport as a vehicle to promote access to education in Mali by holding basketball camps for girls and boys aged 8 to 12.
The former captain of the Aigles Dames (Eagles) – the nickname for the Mali women’s national basketball team – wants to create a basketball and education academy to sustain the effects of these initiatives and give the youth of Mali a chance to combine going to school with playing basketball.
- Facilitate access to education for girls and boys
- Foster the social inclusion of young people, particularly those with intellectual disabilities
- Promote the playing of basketball
- Build a sports and education academy with tutoring programmes and scholarships for studying in Mali or overseas
- Organisation of three-day basketball camps
- Inclusion of young people with intellectual disabilities in the camps, in partnership with the association Special Olympics Mali
- Raising young people’s awareness of the importance of education, health and the key values of living together in society
- Training of coaches and supervisory staff
- Provision of sports equipment and teaching materials for young people
Watch a video about Hamchetou Maïga-Ba’s foundation
(source: World Bank)
- 60 young people aged 8 to 12 participate in the Lapantha Camp every year
- A specific programme designed for girls aged 13 to 19
- Partnership with Special Olympics Mali to integrate athletes with intellectual disabilities
- Recurring annual needs
- Project supported by Hamchetou Maïga-Ba through her foundation, with the support of donations, student sponsorship, coaches and events
You are the manager of this project and you wish to modify/complete this form ? Do not hesitate to contact us through your account !