An initiative by Laurence Fischer
The Democratic Republic of the Congo has been plagued by war for over 20 years, resulting in mass human rights violations, especially against women and girls. A 2014 report by Médecins Sans Frontières (Doctors Without Borders) found that, in some parts of Kivu region, nearly three out of four women had been raped.
After an initial experience in Afghanistan, Fight For Dignity began working in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) with the support of the 2018 Nobel Peace Prize laureate Dr Denis Mukwege, better known as “the man who mends women”. Fight For Dignity (FFD) supports and trains teachers and other beneficiaries at Maison Dorcas – part of Dr Mukwege’s Panzi Foundation – using a karate programme that is tailored to the physical, mental and social circumstances of women survivors of sexual violence. The programme has also been implemented at the Maison des Femmes (Women’s Home) in Saint-Denis, France.
- Promote the use of sport, and karate in particular, as a tool for resilience-building and rehabilitation
- Develop the FFD method in conjunction with doctors and researchers, and train coaches
- Ensure the long-term future of the project in the DRC and develop the model in Africa and around the world
- Duplicate the FFD method in other French cities
- Implementing the programme in the DRC and France
- Providing social and medical support (care, counselling, etc.)
- Introducing the practice of karate through special sessions
The inside story of Fight For Dignity’s work in the DRC
(Source : Institut Français in the DRC)
- Physical and psychological rehabilitation for women victims of domestic violence, female genital mutilation, rape, assault, forced marriage or prostitution
- Women trained in karate and supported by FFD at the Panzi Foundation in the DRC
- Women trained in karate and supported by FFD at the Maison des Femmes in Saint-Denis, France
- Cost of current project: €150,000, of which 42% (€63,000) is for the continuation of the project at the Panzi Foundation in the DRC
- Amount already funded: €90,000 from partners and sponsors (as of 16 April 2019)
- Fundraising on the Ulule crowdfunding platform: raised €18,425, exceeding an original funding goal of €15,000 (raised 122% of target)
You are the manager of this project and you wish to modify/complete this form ? Do not hesitate to contact us through your account !