An initiative by Ahmed Taofik
Over half of the population of Benin is under 18. Sport is a great tool for fostering young people’s personal development, social and professional integration, and access to education.
Enfants du Bénin Debout has held a one-week basketball camp every summer since 2012. In addition to the intensive basketball training, the camp is interspersed with various social and educational sessions, including cultural visits and conferences in partnership with international organisations (WHO, UNESCO).
The camp concludes with the United Basketball Africa (UBA) three-day international tournament that attracts teams, including disability teams, from several African countries.
Enfants du Bénin Debout now wants to help build a permanent sports and culture centre and develop a health and education programme.
- Build a permanent sports and culture centre
- Foster the personal development and fulfilment of Beninese youth through sport
- Boost participation in basketball and encourage young people to take up the sport
- Raise awareness among Beninese youth of environmental protection, disability sports and sustainable development issues
- Promote African culture and heritage
- Holding socio-educational basketball camps in Porto-Novo, followed by a three-day international basketball tournament
- Arranging cultural outings, such as visits to museums, historic sites and farms to stimulate the intellectual curiosity of young people
- Organising conferences: prevention of STDs, nutrition, leadership, entrepreneurship
- Establishing a year-round academic support programme
Find out more about the 2019 UBA tournament
- Over 7,000 young people have participated in Enfants du Bénin Debout events since 2012
- 120 girls and boys aged 12 to 18 took part in the 2019 UBA tournament
- Local communities and volunteers make a year-round commitment to the association’s projects
- Sharing experiences with the basketball teams invited to the tournament (Central African Republic, Gabon, Ghana and Nigeria)
- Members of disability basketball teams participate in the UBA tournament
- Project cost: €95,000
- Project supported in 2019 by the Agence Française de Développement and the European Guild
You are the manager of this project and you wish to modify/complete this form ? Do not hesitate to contact us through your account !