A project managed by Terres en Mêlées
In partnership with Malagasy Rugby
Reducing poverty and ensuring access to education are major challenges in Madagascar. Terres en Mêlées launched its Child & Development project in the southwest of the island in 2014, in partnership with Malagasy Rugby and the Madagascan Ministry of Education. The objective of the project is threefold: to establish a programme of education through sport; to raise young people’s awareness of sustainable development issues; and to conduct information campaigns on health and hygiene at schools, using rugby to teach the values of life.
After the success of this first project, which reached over 35,000 children and introduced 400 teachers to the Terres en Mêlées methodology, the organisation extended its activities throughout Madagascar. This involved setting up Rugby Academies (provincial training centres), holding the first national schools’ rugby championship and organising Raid FADA cultural exchanges as well as several solidarity activities between French and Madagascan schools and rugby clubs.
- Promote education through rugby
- Encourage the mobility of young people from Madagascar and France
- Raise the profile of Madagascan culture internationally
- Improve teacher training
- Foster the independence and empowerment of girls and women
- Reduce inequality
- Implementing the Child & Development programme
- Organising the first national schools’ rugby championship
- Setting up and running Rugby Academies
- Organising Raid FADA cultural exchanges (solidarity trips with shared experiences)
- Arranging collections of equipment in partner clubs and schools
- Organising cultural exchanges between France and Madagascar
Watch a video about Terres en Mêlées’ activities in Madagascar (in French)
- 30,000 young people introduced to rugby since, including 19,000 girls
- 70 schools involved in the project in 17 regions of Madagascar
- 250 teachers trained by Terres en Mêlées and accredited by World Rugby
- 30 French rugby clubs and 90 French volunteers involved
- Project cost: XX (to be completed)
- Project supported by XX (to be completed)
You are the manager of this project and you wish to modify/complete this form ? Do not hesitate to contact us through your account !