An initiative by Jimmy Adjovi-Boco
An initiative by Patrick Vieira
An initiative by Bernard Lama
An initiative by Saer Seck
The project started in the early 2000s at a time when sub-Saharan Africa had a primary school access rate of 82% and a completion rate of just 47%. In Senegal, 64% of children had access to education (source: UNESCO).
The founders devised a project to set up a modern sport and education centre in Saly, some 85 km from the centre of the capital Dakar, in order to promote youth education and personal and professional development. In the 17 years since its creation, the Diambars Institute has trained 500 players, over 60 of whom have gone on to play professionally. More importantly, the school certificate and baccalaureate pass rate stands at nearly 80%.
After establishing a strong partnership with the NBA Africa Academy at the end of 2018 that enabled it to open up its facilities to basketball, the institute continues to develop and has just entered into an experience-sharing partnership with the French club Olympique de Marseille. This partnership represents another step forward as the institute continues to grow for the benefit of all its trainees.
In the short term, the Diambars Institute wants to modernise many of its facilities (medical unit, pitches, floodlights).
- Provide Senegalese youth with a quality education while pursuing their passion – football
- Supervise, train and monitor children through their sporting, educational and professional careers
- Promote the talent of the best young players aiming to play in the big leagues
- Generate sustainable economic activities within and around the institute
- Modernise certain facilities (medical unit, pitches, floodlights)
- Training young people on the basis of innovative educational programmes
- Recruiting qualified coaches and teachers to provide training
- Ensuring the provision of high-level, properly maintained sports facilities
- Facilitating the progress of Diambars Football Club in the top division of the Senegalese national league
- Partnership with the NBA Africa Academy to install basketball facilities at the Diambars Institute
- Partnership with Olympique de Marseille for a mutual experience-sharing programme
Watch a video (in French) about the Diambars Institute’s facilities and programmes
- Around 500 players have been trained at the high-quality facilities since 2003
- Over 60 players have gone on to professional careers, including some 20 in the world’s top leagues.
- 80% of students graduate each year with school certificates or baccalaureates
- 30% of students receive university scholarships for Europe or the United States
- Over 120 permanent direct jobs have been created in the Mbour region
- Annual budget of approximately €1 million
- Project financed by its founders and through sponsorship, partnerships and player transfers.
You are the manager of this project and you wish to modify/complete this form ? Do not hesitate to contact us through your account !