An initiative by Mamadou Sakho
In Senegal, 5% of children under the age of 18 are fatherless and 16% are living without their biological parents (UNICEF statistics, 2013). A high proportion (38%) of the country’s children aged 7 to 18 are not enrolled in school, a rate that rises to 46% in rural areas. The Tambacounda region, which is in a rural part of eastern Senegal, is the Sakho family’s homeland.
The association AMSAK Donation aims to contribute to youth education and empowerment in Tambacounda by building the Mamadou Sakho sports and educational centre. After establishing several local contacts, the project was effectively started in 2018, thanks to the Senegalese Government’s donation of a three-hectare plot of land near Tambacounda, close to the route of a future motorway.
- Support and provide schooling for the region’s young people, with a particular focus on orphaned children
- Ensure young people’s inclusion in the local job market by providing training in skilled trades
- Nurture the sporting talent of tomorrow via an elite sports facility
- Building an educational and sports complex in the Tambacounda region
- Providing schooling for orphans aged 6 to 13 in the region
- Training 14–18-year-olds in the country’s traditional trades (farming, carpentry, weaving, sculpture, ironwork, etc.)
- Educating and developing promising young footballers
- Social integration of street children and children from deprived families
- Schooling for orphans and for children from disadvantaged communities in the region
- Job creation both within and outside the centre’s activities
- Recruitment of qualified coaches and teachers
- Project cost: around €2.2 million, of which 10% is already committed in equity for the following three stages:
- Stage 1: construction of the educational centre with three main buildings (around €500,000)
- Stage 2: construction of an apprenticeship centre for traditional trades (around €400,000)
- Stage 3: construction of the sports centre for educating and training young footballers (around €750,000)
- Equipment and working capital needs: €550,000
You are the manager of this project and you wish to modify/complete this form ? Do not hesitate to contact us through your account !